Evan Petiwhisker Tildrum

As a result of my personal summer research, my third 3D sculpting session was dedicated to Evan, a character from Ni No Kuni: Revenant Kingdom,

To be fair the idea to sculpt it came up thanks to Playstation, which offered a great discount at the time and I, as my weak nostalgic self, decided YEAH I have good memories of this game why not!

I will protect this child with my life

While playing through it it dawned on me that the character appearance looked actually really simple when you think about it. And since I just finished making an elf bust, I thought what if I tried to make one of the characters as a sculpting subject?

And so we have Evan Pettiwhisker Tildrum. To summarize, he is a young prince who's father had recently died. We meet him at the start of a coup. You then continue through the rest of the game helping him build a NEW kingdom, while trying to unify the other nations to hopefully create '' A world where everyone can live happily ever after''.

Note: This is a chill, feel-good and cute game. And, as I mentioned before, quite nostalgic. The series also has a very Ghibli mood to it all, which is probably part of the reason why I like it so much.

ANYWAY I searched for some reference sheets that would have at least a front and a side image I could follow, and then set up Blender to get to work. I started with the head, which was fairly simple since I didn't have to pay attention to details like wrinkles, muscles or anything realistic. Then I slowly moved on to the body, following the examples of some sculptors I've watched on Youtube. Little by little he was taking shape. Along the way I found a great toon shader tutorial, which is how I managed to give Evan a more cartoony look.


I decided to stick to his casual clothes as a start.



After like 2 weeks of experimenting, remaking stuff, figuring out the best remeshing functions and texturing shenanigans, figuring out shoes and hands... I eventually had my first 3D sculpted full-body model!

Since I've watched a number of videos on Blender sculpting, I realized that it would be great if I actually used him for a pose rather than to leave it at a static T-pose.

Unfortunately...that didn't go as I expected. Turns out rigging a model with multiple things that were added and connected later MAY cause some unexpected...deformation. And errors. And...several other complications, it was not fun.

Needless to say I was annoyed.

But THEN I found that the sculpting mode has a lazy posing brush! Emphasis on ''lazy'', but hey it worked better than rigging did for me.


Close up!


Feeling quite happy with my results, I also decided to create some stylized meadow grass as an attempt for composition.

Conclusion: this project has taught me so many things and built up my confidence for actual people modeling in Blender. I am really fired up to see what else I can cook up with my laptop...but for now I think I need a break 😌