Howl Jenkins Pendragon




Behold! A Howl J. Pendragon! The welsh drama queen wizard that is from Howl's moving castle!

I was re-listening to an audiobook of the original book by Diana Wynne Jones, and frankly it didn't help that Youtube has been pushing Merry Go Round of Life for a week now.

That said, this is specifically the Ghibli version of Howl. That is to say, who knows, maybe one day I'll go back and do the book version.


This was much quicker to complete than my previous sculpts...probably because I didn't spend too much time figuring out a body.

I first decided to stick to his simpler, post-tantrum look and see where we go from there.

Reference A
Refernce B


Reference C



First render




















I played around with adding some lineart to the model, which turned out looking much better than I had thought. I also made the hair lighter according to the references.


























With that warm-up done, I moved on to the blonde version everyone is most familiar with.


I changed the hair color, made it longer and floofier and added a simplified version of the coat. I also made the lineart for the hair thinner and slightly lighter, which changed his whole aesthetic by A LOT.

Finally, a-side-by-side comparison of both of Howl's phases. The difference is staggering. It's really interesting that, despite me not changing the face AT ALL, the hair and coat give a whole different feel to the character.